Saturday, May 21, 2011

EXHIBITS AT THE MET THIS SUMMER

As I get ready to make my annual pilgrimage to the world center of arts and culture and well, pretty much everything, (ie NYC), I decided to plan my usual trip to the Met, and see what exhibitions are on, and which really great ones that will already be gone by the time I get there (the inevitable).  Of course the rooftop exhibitions are always a summer treat, (really just an excuse to get the most amazing view over Central Park so one can pretend one lives in a park-side penthouse, if even for just a moment).

Here is the view from the rooftop last summer:


















This summer Anthony Caro is featured, an influential modern British sculptor. 


See a video about the exhibit here.

I am also very excited about the Richard Serra Drawings exhibit, which will actually still be there in late June.... as I am a real push-over for male artists working with cor-ten steel.  And in general I find artist's drawings most intriguing, often times better than the end result.

Photos courtesy of the Met website:

























While I am somewhat intrigued by the Alexander McQueen exhibit, by far the most 'blockbuster'-ish exhibit on right now, I am somewhat hesitant to spend any of my precious 3 days in NY on this when I could just watch a Lady Gaga video instead (also courtesy of the Met website):

























What I REALLY wanted to see is the Katrin Sigurdardottir exhibit which examines and reinterprets several French period rooms at the Met....but of course this closes on June 5th!!!  Really?  Come on.  If you are in NY, please go visit it for me....




OK, I actually cannot stand to look at these images anymore, as I am physically in pain.  This is the stuff of my dreams....creepy white modern versions of the Met French period rooms....anyone reading this that works for the Met, can't you keep this open a few more weeks?  I am sure this is the real blockbuster exhibit of the year, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment