Sunday, June 9, 2013

LEARNING THE UPHOLSTERY BIZ

In anticipation of my new business venture, Christa Pirl Furniture, I decided I should probably know a bit more about how to upholster furniture properly, in the old school tradition...tying springs, stuffing horsehair, etc.  And, I am lucky enough to live in a location that offers a great upholstery class through the local continuing ed program.  Over a few weeks I was able to create a footstool from scratch, and added antique late Victorian legs to finish it off.  It is amazing how much work goes into such a tiny piece of upholstery.  I certainly have a whole new level of appreciation for the amazing work my great upholsterers do for me.  Below is the process documented...

Here is the frame built, webbing stretched, burlap stapled and springs tied down, in four directions for good stability, whew, that was a lot of work, and just the beginning-






And the first layer over top the springs, followed by several more for ultimate comfort-

 


























All layers well stapled down-

















 
 
Final fabric applied and corners neatly pinched-














 
 
And here is the final result!
 

 

2 comments:

  1. I love it! it looks so good. I would like to take the class you took. Can I get more info?

    ReplyDelete