Wednesday, September 7, 2011

COFFEE TABLE BOOKS


















Anyone immersed in the world of interiors is well aware of the statement made by the ever-present and highly prominent design-related coffee table book. These books can be seen in every single living room shot of any design project in any design mag. Aren't I right? Believe me, I love the look, but sometimes it is a bit overdone. Do these people (who are not in fact designers) actually have these books on their coffee table all the time? Or did a certain designer just strategically place them there for the photo shoot? You decide, but I am not entirely sure these people even read enough to warrant all of these books all over the place...


However, I think it is a great thing to do if you are in fact a designer or in a related creative field. What could a better way to show off your design leanings in a highly visible and straightforward way? Yes, my home is littered with design books...and yes I have 4 design and art books on my coffee table. But I am a designer. I studied art.














































And what exactly is on my coffee table you may ask?  Regency Redux by Emily Evans Eerdmans, In The Pink about the fab Dorothy Draper, David Hicks: A Life of Design (one of the most awesome designers ever), and finally the November 2007 Sotheby's Contemporary Art Evening Sale Catalog.  Yes, they do all color coordinate.  But, they are also all books I love and use as reference on a regular basis.  What do you have on your coffee table?  Any other designers out there guilty of the same thing?

However....I must admit I might be guilty of using design books at photo shoots just as I had just complained about above.  It is hard not too...they are such good accent pieces, especially when they DO color coordinate with the room. 

























And as I get ready to photograph a slew of recent projects, I must admit I am a bit tempted to do it again...



No comments:

Post a Comment